Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Some Progress

I've been working on the game every now and then, and in the past week or so quite a bit. My new laptop is helping out with this increased productivity, as I can now code while watching television!

The main thing I've been focusing on is getting my code ready for being placed on a repository. As I may have mentioned I plan on open sourcing my code. Since I'm writing my game on the skeleton application that comes with the SDK I'm using, it has required me to rewrite a lot of things in skeleton application that don't really have much to do with the game. Mostly I'm talking about player saving and things like that. I'm happy to report that all the code in my game is now my own so it's ready to upload when I decide.

As far as the game itself I've only gotten hit detection to work. This was actually only a one line thing, and I'll need to revisit this one line later on. For now it's nice to see this working and it feels much more like a game. Now that I have a bunch of boring code out of the way I'll be able to add more to the actual game. There are still a few things I want to add before I make the code available to all. Once those are added I want to do a small code and comment review before uploading the first version.

Once it's uploaded I won't be publicly telling anyone about it, for now it's mostly so I have the code backed up on another server. Once I have a better represented game I'll probably point people in the direction of the code as well so they can see how it works. I'm hoping people can provide some feedback on the code as well, as I'm sure there are ways of doing things that I don't know about.

No comments: